Tunnel Modelling

Tunnel base 1O0Sj6Y6

The Tunnel modelling I went into quite confident, As it was primarily basic shapes I was creating I was expecting more of the challenge to come from texturing. As I began modelling I quickly spotted time-savers such as duplicating my panels for the fence and stretching and reusing them for the door. It was a good learning experience to have a simple model to craft that allows as a refresher to what I’ve learned already.

The main challenge for this shot was the barbed wire, as I had no idea how I would go about creating it. I followed this tutorial here:

While this showed me the primary way of how to create a straight wire not the curled one I originally planned for, the 2014 version of Maya did not allow for the same method of following the curve when extruding. Online forums were no help, but I instead looked up a video on how to create rope in Maya for the 2016 version seen here:

The difference was instead of selecting the object, I had to select the faces individually, and then also select the curve itself while in face mode. After this, it was a simple case of following the rest of the tutorial for modelling the rest of the wire and adding the barbs. What I dislike about this method is the number of faces you end up with. This skyrockets into the hundred thousand extremely quickly especially for such a long piece of wire in my scene. It was potentially worth sacrificing the quality in order to have less slow down during modelling.

Finally, I decided that the fence was a little too boring being even, so I used the soft select feature to edit each edge to pull in slightly or be pull away from the centre as well as move some of the planks back and forth to make it look more poorly put together. Lastly I added a crack in one of the planks just to add to the poorly built effect.

This model looks almost exactly what I wanted to create from my concept art and should need a very small amount of refinement that I should potentially be able to do when compositing together in blender.