Drop Pod Texturing

coloured

Unfortunately, I do not have any footage to show of the creation of these textures other than a spin of the almost completed texture. I used substance painter to texture the drop pod. and experimented with various masks and different presets of smart materials.The sealed window on the door is made of rubber. The door and casing are made of 2 different types of steel. The challenge was trying to create the damage and dirt on the pod. There are 2 separate dirt layers that I added one with a positive height map. and one with a negative height map to create not only the build-up of dirt from the crash but also the damage from the pellets that would have ricocheted across it. I then decided to take it a step further and attempt to add large chunks taken out of the pod.

I attempted adding another mask of a material with its height set to low to accomplish this but didn’t have the effects I desired. Instead, I created a stencil using the alpha mattes and painted height data directly onto the pod. The stencil allowed it to have that random damaged look as well as added in the texture detail needed to sell the crash landing damage.

Finally, I created textures for the rocks within blender using nodes and following the tutorial below. The tutorial only helped so far before there was no noticeable difference in texture, in which I adjusted the settings of the nodes already added and finalized the look.